Sunday, January 13, 2008

Two Wineries on the Haw River Trail

Jim and I were heading to Greensboro to visit a friend, so we decided to check out some wineries on the Haw River Trail.

Our first stop: Benjamin Vineyards





They had a nice little picnic area and an old grape press on their porch. Very cute!



This vineyard planted thir first vines in 2002. The land used to be owned by a tobacco farmer. We were most impressed by their oaked Chardonnay, their '06 Chardonel and their spiced wine. We bought a bottle each of the Chardonnay and the Chardonel and plan to return next holiday season to pick up the holiday spice.

Although the wine was good, I think I was more impressed by the cool art on the walls.



Then, we hit the GlenMarie Winery





This was a cozy little winery, but the bar was a little high. I felt like I was at a bank, or something, where I almost have to get on my tiptoes to reach over the counter.



This winery makes all of their wines in stainless steel vats, no barrels. As a result, I wasn't too fond of the wines, because I prefer the oak-y taste, but they still had some good stuff. My favorite was the "Summer Promise" which is a blend of four white wines. We also liked the Chambourcin and purchased a bottle of that as well.

The clear winner of the two was Benjamin Vineyards, but I was a little dissapointed overall. I'd like to come back to these wineries in a few years once their vines mature.

No comments: